Calm Before, the 1967 album by The Rising Storm, is a touchstone of a distinct time and its music. It also is a testament to that music’s timelessness: Fifty years after it was made, the album still resonates. Its 12 tracks — haunting ballads about heartbreak, upbeat dance tunes, and explosive rockers — all capture the spirit of the mid-’60s, and the innocence, longing, restlessness and sheer exuberance of adolescence. [In January 2018, Sundazed Music reissued Calm Before on vinyl and in CD format. It also is available on Apple Music. To read more, click here.]
Tracking the Storm
* ‘Frozen Laughter’ — original from Calm Before — is featured in a new movie starring Evan Rachel Wood. The song also has been released on Sky Girl, a foreign compilation.
* Long-awaited vinyl ’45 of two of our best originals has been released by Penniman Records. See ‘Shop‘ page.
* calm before… the rising storm, a 30-minute documentary movie about The Rising Storm and Calm Before had its premiere at the Jukebox International Film Festival, where it received first place in the documentary short film category. It also has been shown at the Santa Cruz Film Festival in California, where it received the award for best short documentary, and at the Doc’n Roll Festival in London. And it will be shown at Festival Sayulita in Mexico.
* Click ‘Follow’ button below to stay tuned.
- Follow The Rising Storm on WordPress.com